Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Lessons from Seattle Grace.

I have an addiction. Thursday nights are blocked out on my calendar, and I anticipate 8 pm as most 5 year-olds anticipate Christmas morning. I find myself chattering on about dream-men with Scottish nick-names most afternoons, and I've mapped out what classes it would take for this writer to be accepted into medical school.

Yes, Grey's Anatomy has taken me hostage. And I've never been such a happy victim. The following are indispensable life-lessons that I have learned from my Thursday-night love affair:




Brilliant, rich, devastatingly handsome surgeons are solely interested in masochistic, emotionally-unstable basket-cases.

Folk music always plays across the hospital loud-speaker just as a patient is about to die.

An 'on-call room' is simply code for 'consensual brothel-house.' i.e. KNOCK FIRST.

Surgeons don't sleep. Upon returning home, they toss and turn until 4 am, when they get up to make it back to the hospital.

When in doubt, push another round of epi.



People are often dead for three hours and come back to life (after multiple rounds of epi).

US surgical teams, especially in the Pacific Northwest, are a clean 50/50 ratio of black/white.

Doctors cry. A lot. Preferably in the hospital ladies room.

The best way to snag a doctor is to get on the heart transplant list. (Denny, we miss you.)



Scrubs are made tie-waisted strictly for on-call room purposes.

Doctors never get paged while having sex.

On any given day there are three important patients. Of those three, two will live, and one will die (cue the folk music).

Even though your best friend slept with your wife, moved to Seattle to win back said wife, and flirts with your current girlfriend, you will inevitably end up as best friends again.



Most surgeons live in packs, usually in a fraternity-style setting.

Surgeons are not psychiatrists. Nor are they even slightly mentally healthy.

Failing your exams, cutting l-vat wires or covering up for a surgeon whose trembling hand could kill a patient at any minute will never get you fired.

Mercy West is sooooo lame.

Just when you get attached to a handsome, black cardio-thoracic surgeon, you find out he's actually a bigot.



When epi doesn't work, charge to 360! Clear!

Nurses are merely props in the OR. They remain nameless, usually faceless, and always wordless.

Seattle Grace, my friends, is the place to be.

4 comments:

My Three Sons said...

That was alarmingly ridiculous and pointless, however, I did enjoy reading it! (No matter what you write about, I enjoy reading it!)Given our recent hospital experiences I think most of the "life lessons" you have learned about the goings on in a hospital are exceptionally true! I would start watching it but I don't think I can give up The Office which is on at the same time :(

MishMyBelle said...

this post was hilarious! I was obsessed with Grey's the last couple of seasons. I haven't been as faithful this season. I kind of got sick of the drama. I love Addison and am converted to Private Practice. I am glad you have learned so many important life lessons. Thank you seattle grace!

Danica Osborn said...

it's about damn time! do you not remember me raving about this show for 2 years while we worked together. what, did you have to wait until your oc obsession was over before you could fully commit? glad you're finally watching, although this season is been a bit subpar...

Lee said...

You have that picture of McSteamy. THAT picture. :) Love the post, love the show.