Monday, August 20, 2007

Mi Casa es mi . . . Coche?


Graduation. Commencement: Both signify advancement, and the arrival of something new.

I suppose that something new has, in my life, taken the form of a new (and temporary) place to live, a better-paying job and half of my belongings crammed into a Volkswagen Jetta.

On my lunchbreak, I was, per usual, headed in the general direction of Costco when a Murray City police officer found it pertinent to flash his blue/red lights in my unsuspecting rear-view mirror.

In the current upheaval of my life, I had apprently let a burned-out tail light go unnoticed.

The officer was very nice, complimented my sunglasses and when I couldn't find my registration right away, told me that the sautee pan on my passenger seat might suffice.


This got me thinking about the contents 0f my car. I realized that were I stuck away from home in a natural disaster of some sort, I could take comfort in the the knowledge that I could take care of myself, almost entirely, with my current cargo.

Were it cold outside, I need not fear: I have 14 winter sweaters in my trunk.

Warm weather couldn't pose a threat either, as there lies a case of mountain spring water in the back seat.

I could make my car rather comfortable with the king size featherbed that's wrapped itself around five black picture frames I could pawn off for extra change.

For those days when my seratonin needs an electric boost, the 6-foot artificial Christmas tree in my trunk would lend a bit of cheer to any downtrodden afternoon.


Not to mention the natural high that would come from lending a hand (and a set of jumper cables, a bag of almonds and sherpa-lined slippers) to strangers in need of a friend (or a silk top and ten hot chocolate mugs).

And, if boredom happens to ensue, three David Sedaris books, one leather-bound scripture quad and a 10 year-old Artley flute are sure to elevate my mental, spiritual and musical health.

Someday I'll unpack my car and find a more permanent home for a duffel bag of pajamas and a 12-pack of toilet paper. But if "commencement" truly signifies the arrival of a new life, consider me fully (and constantly) prepared.

0 comments: