Friday, July 17, 2009

Breaking up is hard to do.

Goodbyes are tough.

There's that sentimental wrap-up, a few tears shed here or there, the barrage of well-wishes, and then the awkward hug/kiss/handshake to seal the deal.

And to make matters worse, breaking up has never been my strong point. Usually, it goes something like this:

K - "I'm not good for you. I'm crazy."
On-again/Off-again BF - "Do you want to break up?"
K - "No, you want to break up with me."
OA/OA BF- "I do?"
K - "Don't you?"
OA/OA BF - "Well, you ARE crazy."

two months later

K (via text) - "Miss me?"

That being said, the mass of on-again-off-again beaus in my life is no concern here (unless you're currently in my life, in which case, maybe we should chat).

I speak of a much more serious farewell.

Having put myself on a strict diet of no-shopping (and stuck to it this entire week except for that one incident at the Rack and the other two at revolveclothing.com (because honestly, does online shopping even COUNT?)), I am taking a bold move and..

cleaning out my closet.

Before you say anything, I need to tell you - this isn't about the clothes. Well, this is exactly about the clothes. But what I mean to say is the clothing didn't DO anything. It's me. And what the clothes do to me.

There I am, innocently perusing the racks of silk, cotton, cashmere, wool, when our eyes lock. I reach for you - you reach back. We connect. I get you into a room, and there we are - we've become one. Within minutes I've spent all my money on you.

And you're right there on board. I take you home to meet the family, and you fit in so nicely - right next to like colors/fabrics. But you're not there for long. No, you're special, and I can't keep you off of me.

But then, something fades (and I use color-safe bleach!). I bring home some coral linen-blend or something in a silk ombre and suddenly I forget you - forget US.

And before you know it, the seasons have changed and we've become strangers.

I don't like what this has done to me, and it's time I take control.

And so, with plastic garbage bags and rubbermaid containers on hand, I will settle in for the hardest of goodbyes.


xoxo

4 comments:

Robyn said...

That is a bold move Kristin! Are you sure you are ready for this? If you are, do keep in mind that we wear the same size (at least when I'm not prego) and I'd be happy to offer a new home to those you are breaking up with :)

Danica Osborn said...

send me your hand me downs, i beg of you oh fashion goddess! i will pay shipping and handling. come on...do it for the paint shop.

Danica Osborn said...

;)

Nicole said...

Just think of all the room you are making for NEW things!